I’ve been trying to decide what to do for an advent calendar this year. I finally decided to get 25 small ornaments (on sale at Target..) and put one on a small tree each day until Christmas. I thought about putting the grandkids names on the ornaments but since grandchild 25 is due in March I was quickly running out of days until Christmas so I opted to put our children’s names plus mine and my husbands on the small ball. The other days would have the colored pinecone ornaments. I bought a small tree skirt at Hobby Lobby. Now I just needed something to put the ornaments in. I decided to make fabric bags for the ornaments using some Moda fabric. I used 4 fabrics – 6 inches by wof of the one for the numbers and 9 inches by wof of three others. You could also use 4 fat quarters. I cut out the numbers with my Slice Fabrique. This was my favorite part of the whole process and a big reason why I chose fabric bags – I wanted the excuse to cut something…Lots of something. I decided to use the numerals from the “Vintage Seasons” Fabrique card. Each numeral needs to be cut separately, but it didn’t take very long. To use the Fabrique you use Slice temporary spray adhesive on a glass mat. Once your mat is sprayed it remains sticky for a long time. My mat was still sticky enough from the last time I cut that I didn’t need to re-spray it. I cut the fabric that I wanted to use for the numerals into two 3 inch strips. To use the Fabrique the fabric needs to have some type of paper on the back, either paper backed fusible or freezer paper. Since I wanted to be able to fuse the numerals on the fabric I used Wonder Under fusing it to the strips. I put the fused fabric on the sticky mat. From the Vintage Seasons SD card I selected the numerals. I cut them all at the 1 size which gave me letters a bit over 1 inch tall. You can see the numeral on the Slice screen. (I took the pic after and didn’t see the size was 2 – I did cut mine on 1.) I cut all the “1”s first, then the “2”s, etc. You can see the “2” in the picture to the left. It takes just seconds to cut so it goes quickly. After cutting I would move the fabric over and cut the next numeral. Then I made the fabric for the bags. I cut 9 inch strips from 3 fabric or if you’re using fat quarters cut the fat quarter into two 9 inch pieces. Then I serged both edges of the fabric using a rolled hem. I put gold metallic thread in the top looper and gold shiny polyester thread in the bottom looper with regular thread in the needle. Pairing poly thread with the metallic makes the sewing go easier. After serging all the long edges I cut them into 4 1/2 inch pieces so the finished pieces are 4 1/2 by 9 having the rolled hem on the 4 1/2 inch sides. Next I fused the numbers on the fabric. I found it was really easy to get the paper off the back of the numbers if I scored the paper with a pin before trying to remove it. I just folded the fabric so I could see where to put the numbers and ironed them on. Then it was back to the serger where I serged up the sides to make the bags. Fill and tie with ribbon and you’re done. I found a basket to put all the little bags in and my advent tree is ready. If you decided to do this project send pictures. I’d like to see what you come up with. Till next time……..
I had an idea for a theme quilt for MQS in May. The theme is “South of the Border”. The February Art Quilt group was supposed to be how to paint sunrises and sunsets. We weren’t able to meet and that project is on the list for next month. It had gotten me to thinking and I came up with this quilt. I’ll be posting the steps in making it as I go along.
I started dyeing the fabric March 4th. I wanted to use Quick Fix so that I didn’t have to wrap the fabric up and wait 24 hours before washing. I searched the internet for inspiration – I usually use Google images. I typed in “desert sunset” and “desert sunrise” and looked at photos until I had some idea where I wanted to go. One of the most striking photos had a very large white sun setting.
I used Renee’s Mini Rays (www.reneequilts.com) to draw a large circle on freezer paper. I ironed the outside onto the fabric and then painted Presist into the circle to resist the fabric dye.
I then mixed up MX dye with urea water and water. Using the urea water is optional. It makes the water wetter so it will take longer to dry and give the dye molecules more time to find a “home”. I used only a small amount of dye to give a pale yellow color. I painted the dye on with a sponge brush.